Anyone living in the Lake Highlands area is welcome to join the 'before your kid reaches Kindergarten' PTA (AKA Lake Highlands Early Childhood PTA). This past year we were in the Baby group and this next year we will move into the Toddler group. Each age has its own group and the moms volunteer hosting play groups at their homes and meeting at area places for fun play dates. We are all stay at home moms with a few part timers, and have developed a really close group. We all admit we feel like we are back in college with a good group of girlfriends!
As the playgroup coordinator, I come up with activities for us to do each week in addition to the playgroups at some of the mom's homes. I have come across a pretty good list of places in Dallas so far, and I hope to find more cool places to take kids.
If you need something fun to do this summer, here is the list of places I have found:
- Pump-it-Up on Forest Lane has open play on Tuesday/Wednesdays 10am for $7
- Walnut Hill Rec Center on Walnut Hill and Midway Rd. has open play for Toddlers on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 10am for $5
- Splash Parks at various Dallas Recreation Centers, free!: http://www.dallasparks.org/Downloads/Spraygrounds.pdf.
- Northpark Bookmarks Baby Bounce music and story time on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays at 12:30pm
- Arboretum picnics in the morning (before it gets too hot)
- Launa's Little Library in Lake Highlands (a library in a retired librarian's home upstairs, open to the public Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:30am-5:30pm)
- Top Golf putt-putt
- Science Place Children's Museum has an indoor play area, sensory exhibits and lots of hands on experiences for 10$ admittance for adults and children under 2 are free (they have great membership deals too)
- Fellowship Bible Church as an indoor playground that is open to the public, call to see what days they are open at: 214.739.3881
- Playgrounds that have padded surfaces are Scottish Rite Hospital's playground and Coffee Park at Hillcrest and Northwest Highway
- Storytimes at Skillman Library at 10:30am on Thursdays, It's a Grind Coffee Shop at 11am on Tuesdays
- Cry baby movies at the Angelika recommended for babies under 6 months on Wednesdays at 1:30pm. Studio Movie Grill has Summer Kid Movies Mon-Friday at 11am for 1$ kids and 2$ adults, check the schedule here.
- Indoor Playgrounds at Galleria Mall and Willowbend Mall
- Best indoor restaurant playground is at the Chick-Fil-A at Southwestern and Central Expy